Patricia Harris, CPA, CA·IFA, CBV, DIFA, CFF
Direct Line: (416) 645-6570
Patricia is a partner and active member of our advisory team. Patricia’s recent engagements include a loss quantification related to a construction litigation, a funds tracing and Expert Report for a litigation, a business valuation related to a shareholder dispute, a valuation of a food manufacturer, a loss of profits related to an alleged breach of contract, and a valuation and income assessment for a matrimonial litigation.
“Integrity, respect, confidentiality, enjoyment of work and technical excellence are all values integral to providing my clients with superior service. I pride myself on my ability to understand and report on complex businesses and forensic cases in the most efficient way possible. We provide our clients with reports that translate complex situations into professional, concise, independent and objective Expert Reports.”
- “Valuation principles in the context of a shareholder dispute” (The Journal of Business Valuation, 2016)
- “Inadvisable to cull client list before selling business” (Advocate Daily, February 2016)
- “Fraud risk increases when one employee controls finances” (Advocate Daily, September 2015)
- “Controls, verification key to preventing occupational fraud” (Advocate Daily, September 2015)
- Quoted – “Top 10 pitfalls – Understanding the legal limits of an investigation, and avoiding the problems that can torpedo it”, by Geoff Kirbyson, The Bottom Line, Forensic Accounting and Fraud, Winter 2014
- “Pre-trial ‘hot-tubbing’ of experts gaining in appeal”, by Patricia Harris, The Lawyers Weekly, September 5, 2014
- “Loss of Profits Damage Quantification – A Method to the Madness” (Fuller Landau LLP – Real Estate and Construction Newsletter 2014, Summer/Fall)
- Quoted – “A small world with growing cyber threats” – “Politics and intellectual property represent the cutting edge targets of today’s cyber-attackers”, By Geoff Kirbyson, The Bottom Line, Forensic Accounting & Fraud, June 2014
- “Tax treatment of testamary trusts as expected in budget” (Advocate Daily, February 2014)
- “Synergy in action – In a receivership, how the forensic accountant and receiver gel is paramount”, co-authored by David Filice (The Lawyers Weekly, Focus – Bankruptcy & Insolvency, September 27, 2013)
- Income Tax and Family Law Handbook, Chapter updates: Tax Liability, Pensions, Personal Tax Credits, Accounting and Legal Fees, Attribution, RRSP, RESP (2013 and 2014).
- “Valuation and Income Assessment Expert Reports for Family Law” (Ontario Family Law Practice, Practice Notes, 2013)
- “When Harry Left Sally” – Finding Your Way Through Grey Divorce” by Marion Korn and Eva Sachs, contributor Patricia Harris (2013)
- “Fraud Prevention – There are several steps you can take to improve your company’s internal controls” (B&C Canada, May/June 2012)
- “Pass It On – Maximize intangible asset value” (Canadian Capital Magazine, February/March 2012)
- Chapter Contributor, Income Tax and Family Law Handbook (2012)
- “Buying and Selling” (The Bakers Journal, The Business Advisor: October 2011)
- “Line 150 Is Just The Beginning: The Calculation of Income for Child Support Purposes” (co-authored with Bruce Roher for the Ontario Bar Association May 3, 2011 conference on Family Law Fundamentals: “Everything You Need To Know About Child Support”).
- “Valuation and Income Assessment Expert Reports for Family Law” (Ontario Family Law Practice, 2011).
- “What Every Family Lawyer Needs to Know About Financial Statements: (The Lawyers Weekly, 2012).
- “Getting the Most for Your Business” (Home Improvement Retailing, 2009)
- “Business Planning and Financial Modeling” (Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators, Private Company Finance Course, 2009)
- Quoted – “To prune or not to prune”, by Grant Cameron, Forensic Accounting & Fraud, Vol. 5, No 3, 2015
- Quoted – “Staggeringly low numbers of women in science, tech, engineering & math”, by Donalee Moulton, Forensic Accounting & Fraud, Vol. 3, No 2, 2015
- Quoted- “Piece by piece” – “In a fraud investigation, percipient interviews go a long way toward unearthing small details that can put together a big puzzle”, By Grant Cameron, Forensic Accounting & Fraud, Vol. 3, No 2, 2013.
- Quoted- “Catching a liar in the act” – “Recognizing deception not quite as easy as on TV”, By Geoff Kibyson, The Lawyers Weekly, September 13, 2013.
- Quoted- “Like at first site” – “Tweeting as an accountant”, By Mary Teresa Bitti, CAmagazine, Special IT Issue, September 2013.
- Quoted- “Breaking up is hard to do”, By Grant Cameron, The Lawyers Weekly, Forensic Accounting and Fraud, 2013.
- Quoted – “Fraud a big challenge in insolvency cases”, By Julius Melnitzer, Law Times, March 2013
- Quoted – “Experts predict aftershocks from Nortel acquittal”, By Jeff Buckstein, The Bottom Line, March 2013
- Quoted – “A ‘resounding not guilty’ Year-long trial of Nortel executives ends with clear-cut acquittal”, By James Bagnall, Ottawa Citizen, January 15, 2013
- Quoted – “The Anatomy of a Deal: The inside scoop on Canadian Tire’s acquisition of Forzani Group”, Interviewed by James Dolan for Canadian Capital Magazine, October 3, 2011.
- “Protecting Your Construction Company from Fraud”, The Advocates’ Society, Toronto. presented to business owners, accountants and lenders, April 2013
- “Unravelling Ponzi Schemes, A Case Study”, Association of Certified Forensic Investigators of Canada, May 2012
- “Critiquing Expert Reports”, presented to Toronto law firms, April 2012
- “Line 150 is Just the Beginning: The Calculation of Income for Child Support Purposes”, presented to the Ontario Bar Association, May 2011
- “Financial Statements 101, What Every Family Lawyer Needs to Know” , presented to various Toronto law firms, 2010
- Business Valuations
- Forensic Accounting
- Corporate Finance
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Succession Planning
- Manufacturing and Distribution
- Real Estate and Construction
- Retail and Consumer Products
- Information Technology
- Food & Beverage
Academic Achievements, Memberships and Professional Designations
- Bachelor of Business Administration – Wilfrid Laurier University
- Member, Institute of Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario – Designated Specialist in Investigative and Forensic Accounting (2014)
- Member, Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators
- Interdisciplinary Collaborative Practice Training (2011)
- University of Toronto’s Diploma in Investigative and Forensic Accounting (2012)