Litigation Support: A Powerful Tool of Corporate Law
Corporate disputes are often resolved through mediation or negotiation; however, complex and contentious matters may require more formal legal proceedings. Where such disputes involve the quantification of financial loss, the litigation support services of a forensic accountant can be necessary and invaluable.
Forensic accountants provide the court with an independent financial expert opinion and also critique the opinions of opposing experts in the matter. Furthermore, forensic accountants assist legal counsel by analyzing and interpreting financial documentation, as well as assisting with cross-examination of opposing experts.
Where parties seek to resolve issues prior to a trial, forensic accountants provide support, analysis, and perspective during settlement negotiations.
When is Litigation Support Required?
Example of matters that require the litigation support services of a forensic accountant, include:
- Breach of contract
- Shareholder disputes
- Claims or allegations of fraudulent activity
- Pursuit of damages/lost profits
- Post-acquisition disputes
- Intellectual property disputes
The list above is by no means exhaustive. Any legal matter requiring the quantification of financial or economic loss may benefit from the services of a forensic accountant.
What Can a Business Litigation Support Team Offer?
An expert litigation support team brings three important qualifications to the table:
- The conclusions made by financial litigation experts are supported by careful review of documentation, detailed research, and thoughtful analysis resulting in objective opinions that can be relied on in your legal matter.
- Financial aspects of litigation can be exceedingly complex. Financial litigation experts simplify such matters, providing the Court, arbitrator, or mediator with a readily-understood analysis of the financial aspects of the case.
- An experienced litigation support team will not only assess potential damages in your matter but also assist with examinations for discovery, provide expert witness testimony, and assist with the cross-examination of other experts.
If your company is facing a complex legal issue, be sure to consult with an experienced forensic accountant for litigation support. Our team of experts at Fuller Landau is here to help. For more information on our litigation support services, contact us today.