What we look for
We are always on the lookout for new grads to join our Audit and Accounting, Canadian Tax, or US and Cross-Border Tax groups. Prior experience in public accounting is not required. Our ideal candidates have the following qualifications:
- University degree from an accounting undergraduate program and a commitment to pursue the Canadian CPA designation
- Technical strength in accounting-related courses (tax or audit as applicable)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Self-starter/taking initiative
- Attention to detail and ability to produce high quality work
- Good teamwork skills
Audit and Accounting
You will apply concepts relating to financial accounting, taxation, and assurance by working on a variety of engagements.
You will be exposed to clients that range from owner-managed businesses, not-for-profit organizations, and family enterprises to large private corporations across a variety of industries such as construction, real estate, professional services, food and beverage, manufacturing, and technology.
As you progress in your role, you will have the opportunity to lead and complete small engagement files in conjunction with a manager. This experience enables you to gain competency in understanding all areas of the financial statements and a bigger picture perspective of our clients
Learn more about our CPA Pre-Approved Audit Program for full-time junior team members.
You will develop a better understanding of the Canadian tax system, how it directly affects the economy and the value of tax work for our clients. You will also be on the front lines as the intermediary between our clients and the CRA.
Through the support of our senior staff and managers, you will learn about:
- Non-resident taxation and cross-border transactions
- Sales tax
- Government subsidy programs
- Tax research using the Income Tax Act and other resources
- Assist with simple tax planning for our clients to meet their objectives
Because of the size and variety of our engagements, you will have the opportunity to work directly with managers or senior staff and develop a more holistic view of our clients that include private corporations, non-resident corporations, partnerships, estates/trusts, and individuals.
Learn more about our CPA Pre-Approved Direct-To-Tax Program for full-time junior team members.
US and Cross-border Tax
As a full-time junior staff in our growing US Tax group, you will learn the basics of US personal and corporate taxation on the job, as most Canadian universities do not offer courses on US taxation. Our US tax team is mostly comprised of US CPAs who are well versed in the intricacies of US taxation to support on the job learning.
You will work closely with partners and managers to develop an understanding of the basics of US tax in a cross-border context such as:
- Determining federal and state filing requirements
- Determining residency using the Canada-US tax treaty
- Becoming familiar with US personal tax credits and deductions available
- Preparing US federal and state tax returns
- Assisting in cross-border transactions such as moving to/from the US and Canada
- Analyzing the differences in tax treatments between Canada and US for different types of corporate entities, retirement savings vehicles, and tax elections
How we support you
We provide rigorous, ongoing training that’s customized to your interests, as well as extensive ongoing education to keep you up to date on the latest industry information.
Chartered Professional Accounting (CPA) pre-approved program
We are committed to supporting team members who pursue their CPA designation. We are proud to offer a Pre-Approved Training Program within both our audit and tax teams for team members working in other departments.
- The Pre-Approved Audit Training Program allows students to develop skills to focus on a career in public accounting
- The Pre-Approved Direct-To-Tax Program provides students the opportunity to concentrate on a career in tax
We continue to strengthen our support program for the designation process, recognizing that our investment in our team members is what separates us from our competitors.
For aspiring CPAs, we understand the pressure and stress that comes with obtaining your CPA designation. In addition to offering the relevant technical experience through on-the-job learning, we provide the following financial assistance to our CPA students:
- Two weeks of paid study leave for the Common Final Examination (CFE), with additional paid days off for all CPA exams
- Reimbursement for:
- PEP modules fees CFE exam fees
- Professional dues upon the successful completion of the CFE
- CFE prep courses such as Densmore or PrepFormula
CFE preparation support
Our CPA committee members provide Common Final Examination (CFE) preparation assistance and mentorship to our writers. You will be paired an experienced CPA. You will work together on developing a study plan, case marking and debrief, and time management strategy and tips. Our CPA committee will also share exam writing tips and approaches to common assessment opportunities.