Andy Yap is a Partner in the Tax Group at Fuller Landau. He has over 20 years of experience in taxation and has worked with entrepreneurs and business owners alike, helping his clients with a variety of issues including corporate reorganization, estate and succession planning, acquisition and sale of businesses, and cross-border issues. Andy also has extensive experience in helping foreign individuals and companies establish their business in Canada and their subsequent expansion overseas.
Clients often describe Andy as a trusted advisor, someone who they can count on to provide the best advice for their business. With his extensive experience and strategic insight, clients rest easy knowing that Andy has the know-how to minimize their tax obligations. As Andy is highly skilled in strategic planning, he also helps his clients with the structuring of their business and personal affairs. His clients span a wide range of industries, including manufacturing and distribution, real estate and construction, retail and consumer products, information technology, professional services firms, and entertainment and communications.
Andy is the leader of the International Business Group here at Fuller Landau, and a member of the Real Estate and Construction Committee. Outside the office, he is a Member of the Advisory Board with the Forest Hill Hockey Association, and an Advisor with the Association of Chinese Canadian Entrepreneurs. Andy speaks Cantonese and Mandarin and enjoys travelling.
Academic Achievements, Memberships, and Professional Designations
- Member, CPA Canada
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- CICA In-depth Tax Course
- CICA Advanced International Tax Course
- Bachelor of Arts – University of Western Ontario
- Bachelor of Administrative Studies – York University
- Treasurer – Director, Forest Hill Hockey Association (2012 to present)
- Advisor, Association of Chinese Canadian Entrepreneurs (2006 to present)
- President, Association of Chinese Canadian Entrepreneurs (2002 to 2004)
- Co-Chair, Chinese Canadian Entrepreneur Awards (2002 to 2004)
- Member of Finance Committee, Centre of Addiction and Mental Health (2004 to 2007)
- Vice Chair, United Way Blossom Ball (2004)
- “Looking at China? Build Your Business Plan”, (Plant Magazine, May 14, 2007)
- Guest on “Talking Tax” (Business News Network 2006 to 2009)
- Guest on “Workopolis” (Business News Network 2006)
- Guest on Chinese Business Hour (OMNI TV 2002 to 2004)
A 10-Point Guide of Financial and Tax Planning Considerations for International Employees Coming to Canada
So, you got that job promotion but it involves a work transfer to another country. Your spouse and children are excited for the adventure and you’re looking forward to a change of scenery. You have already found a house in the other country and have enrolled your children in a local school. You sold your... Read More
In today’s global economy, it has become easier for companies to conduct their business in other countries. Through technology and mobility of their workforce, companies looking to expand into new markets sometimes pursue opportunities in a foreign country; however, many of these companies may not always be aware of the potential implications of doing cross-border... Read More
With the world at our fingertips and more accessible than ever before, it has become quite common for Canadians to own foreign real estate, and for companies to carry on business in foreign jurisdictions. While such holdings may be greatly convenient and quite profitable, foreign real estate can be tricky when it comes to tax... Read More